Earlier this year, I had an opportunity to meet Steve Forbes near our public relations firm’s Orlando branch. He discussed many topics and here are some highlights.
Forbes on business
- Cash flow
- Watch expenses and processes- nitty gritty stuff
- New methods and systems- create the great leap forward
- Tools have changed, environment has changed, profession hasn’t changed.
- Every met someone successful who says, “I’m not in sales?”
- Add value
I don’t like Starbucks. It’s the only place I feel confused and I’m paying. - Steve Forbes
- invented the mouse
- invented the internet
- What am I in business for?
- Why do we do this?
Forbes on America’s economy
- American’s going to become a manufacturer giant again because of intellectual property and innovation, not because of low wages.
- Government doesn’t create money. Americans do.
- People are fearful yet very open for solutions for growing sales
- Always add value
- Be a value added consultant
- Communicate to people: “I’ll do well and so will you”
Forbes on healthcare
- Freedom means you make decisions for yourself.
- Why can’t our medical advances predict side effects for the five percent and let the 95% benefit?
- Why is healthcare considered a crisis instead of an opportunity? - patient not in charge, controlled by third party, little free market
- No other industry has a crisis
- Can buy a car in another state, can’t buy insurance in another state
Forbes on investments and investing
- Only buy stock that pay dividends.
- Don’t worry about timing the market
- Stay steady and consistent.
- Stay away from emotions
Forbes on health and family
- Eat well. Sleep well.
- “You know you’re a successful parent when you embarrass your kids.” - Steve Forbes
- January 7, 2013
Image credit: Brian Gilbert